Dunham Grandparents Association
Dunham Grandparents Association Officers (back row, from left) Alice Fay Smith, Arralee Hays, Linda Harvison, Lucy Welch, Kerry Greiff, Donna Blanchard, (seated from left), Ann Pierce, Weesey Bruce, and Lindy Weiner
2017 Grandparents Days at Dunham
Mark your calendars for Middle and Upper School Grandparents Day onThursday, February 23, from 12:30-2:00 pm and Lower School Grandparents Chapel Day on Friday, February 24, from 8:00 am-12:00 pm. Please read below for more information on our plans and schedules for these special days.
Lower School Grandparents Chapel Day Schedule
PK, K, 1st Grade Students
- 8:00-9:00 Refreshments and campus tours in the McVea Quest Center
- 9:00-10:00 PK, K, 1st Grade Chapel in the Brown-Holt Chapel Arts Center
- 10:00-10:30 PK, K, 1st Grade classroom visits; grandparents may sign their grandchildren out after the visit.
2nd, 3rd, 4th Grade Students
- 10:45-11:30 2nd, 3rd, 4th Grade Chapel in the Brown-Holt Chapel Arts Center
- 11:30-12:00 2nd, 3rd, 4th Grade classroom visits; grandparents may sign their grandchildren out after the visit.
A hospitality room with refreshments will be set up for grandparents in the McVea Quest Center between performances.
- Dunham will mail invitations to Lower School grandparents. If grandparents are unable to attend, students may invite a special friend. By Monday, January 23, please send a stamped, addressed envelope for each set of grandparents or special friend your child would like to invite. Envelopes should be turned in to your child’s classroom teacher.
- Grandparents are asked to bring their own camera or cell phone if they would like to have photos taken with their grandchildren.
- All students who remain on campus after the classroom visits will be dismissed at 12:00 pm. Aftercare will not be available on Friday, February 24.
- We are looking forward to a joyous event. Please remember that our desire is for every grandparent to have a seat in the Chapel for his or her grandchild’s performance. Therefore, we respectfully request that parents refrain from attending the Grandparents’ Chapel. If your child’s grandparents need assistance to be seated in Chapel, we understand and encourage parents to help them. However, after they are comfortably seated, we ask that you do not stay, but return after the performance is over.
Middle and Upper School Grandparents Day Schedule:
- 12:30-1:00 Welcome program in the Brown-Holt Chapel Arts Center
- 1:00–2:00 Tours, Classroom Visits, and Reception
- Students will write personal invitations to grandparents next week; if grandparents are unable to attend, students may invite a special friend. Students have been asked by their Bible teachers to enter the names and addresses of grandparents and special friends on a Google form as a homework assignment.
- Middle and Upper School students should arrive on campus at the regular start time on February 23. Morning carpool will run as usual for Middle School and Upper School students who do not drive; Upper School drivers will park at The Chapel of the Oaks and ride the Dunham busses to campus.
- Grandparents should plan to arrive on campus by 12:30 pm for the welcome program in the Brown-Holt Chapel Arts Center.
- Students will meet their grandparents after the program for tours, classroom visits, and the reception. If a grandparent has grandchildren in both Middle and Upper School, the grandchildren will meet and tour the grandparent together.
- All Middle and Upper School students will be dismissed at 12:30 pm. Those with grandparents in attendance may leave with their grandparents at the conclusion of the tour and reception. Those without grandparents will need to be picked in the Middle School carpool line at 12:30. Aftercare will not be available on Thursday, February 23.
- Due to parking concerns, we respectfully ask that only Grandparents and special guests attend the Grandparents Day activities.
If you have any questions about Middle and Upper School Grandparents Days or Lower School Grandparents Chapel Day, please contact division offices.
About the Grandparents Association
Welcome to the Dunham Grandparents Association! Our mission is to provide generational support to our grandchildren at Dunham and their parents, our children. We serve the school with our time, our prayers, and our finances and other resources in gratitude for the contribution it is making in the lives of our families and to the greater community. We want to leave a legacy of Christian faith and principles as the centerpiece of our heritage, and we believe this can be accomplished through enabling the school to continue providing excellent education in a Christian atmosphere.
We have a number of exciting activities and events planned for this school year and hope that all grandparents of Dunham students will join the Grandparents Association. Whether you live near or far and no matter what stage of life you are in—retirement, busy with grandchildren, employed, or bored—there is a way for you to get involved at Dunham.
Currently, we are trying to find grandparents willing to serve as Lower School classroom ambassadors, who will assist the room mothers with volunteer needs and act as communication liaisons for other grandparents. If you would like to become an ambassador, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, we are also looking for grandparents to help in the following areas:
- Pray Dunham (meets the first Friday of every month at 8 am in the chapel)
- Concessions at athletic events
- Tiger Rags school store
- Tiger Bytes café
- Lower School reading
- Campus beautification projects
- Grandparents Annual Giving Campaign
- Dunham Carnival (October 29, 2016)
- Middle and Upper School Grandparents Day (February 23, 2017)
- Lower School Grandparents Chapel Day (February 24, 2017)
To join the Grandparents Association or to sign up to help at any of these events, please select the Join Now button below. We look forward to hearing from you!